Friday 11 October 2013

meet.make.thumbtack art.

DIY thumbtack wall art

Now that all the summer fun has settled, time to get back to business! The kiddies are back to school, season premieres are starting to roll-out, and work-smerk starts to ramp up again... To help motivate ourselves to get our heads back in the swing of things, we decided to indulge in a 'crafternoon' and make some wall art to spice up our offices. 


Inspired by this post, we collected up our supplies from Michael's, as well as our overflowing craft bins found at Steph's house, and created some office wall art of our own.
DIY thumbtack wall art

DIY thumbtack wall art

Cindy: Since I'm currently on mat leave, I wanted something that would work for home and for the office when I return. Unfortunately, I had DIY'ers block and couldn't think of a design! Partly cause I had a baby on one hip and a modge podge brush in the other ;).

I initially thought of doing my initials but then thought that might be too weird to hang in my office so I decided to just stick to my last name initial. Steph and Hayley suggested I use it for a family wall with all the new pics we're taking with Nell which leads into a new project - family picture wall!! 

Overall, I'm happy with the idea although I could have done a better job in adding more pizazz but it's all I had time for so it'll more than do!

DIY thumbtack wall art

Steph: I think I spend more time in my work office then I do anywhere else, and it is so bare and devoid of any character. It needs a spruce up! I've started by putting my crochet hexagon placemat under a plant on a file cabinet.... but it definitely needs some work! 

I started by mod-podging down some paper, with the intension of having a checkerboard pattern. I deliberately made it a bit bumpy for some texture. I went a little overboard on the thumbtacks.... I ended up using my full two boxes I purchased, plus one of Cindy's and half of another of Hayley's! The hardest part was pushing the thumbtacks into the wood frame of the canvas. 

I can't wait to hang this up in my office! Too bad union rules state we have to get the maintenance team to hang everything.... so I'm playing the waiting game.

DIY thumbtack wall art

Hayley: When the idea was suggested of using thumbtacks for an art project, I'll admit I was initially stumped. So I scoured the internet for some ideas! I came across this post and realized I MUST incorporate yarn into this project... because if it isn't obvious from our blanket series yet..I have a silly amount of yarn.

I started by measuring out lines on the canvas in pencil and was going to intersperse yarn, and tacks throughout the entire canvas. Theeenn I realized we only had an afternoon.. this was not an achievable goal...so I painted over the pencil markings with a few coats of white pant.

I ended up making this pattern up as I went along, and all in all I'm actually pretty happy with the results! Sure enough, its hanging in my office at work!


DIY thumbtack wall art

DIY thumbtack wall art

DIY thumbtack wall art

What design would you make with thumbtacks? 


6 comments:

  1. How cool! Looks elegant and edgy at the same time! Love the idea of doing a letter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great idea! I need something like that for my office too! Thanks for sharing, girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! And I'm always looking for easy and cheap ways to add some somethin' to my walls. ;) And Steph! Your hair is so cute! It makes me wanna chop all mine off (again). Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best and helpfull Post, Hi SirTechno Prokash,I am your regular website viewer and User just as your other articles attracts us ,your articles help us a lot.Thanks for publishing this article.Read More Articles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes,nice topic, the blog is fully detailed and helpful and have good insights you have share over here.. infact i write about number of topics like Market Research Company let share some views about our content...

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover